I’ve been making websites for much longer than I care to remember. I don’t update this part of my site very much at all, and most of it contained below is way out of date.
I should probably sort that out at some point.
A series of posters that I am designing and selling.
I am recreating iconic moments in football history in a big pixel style reminiscent of a certain retro football game. You can find out more about the story in the Pixelegends blog post, and of course you can go and peruse the selection and buy a lovely thick, quality print yourself.
Fixture experiment 2010/2011
This was started off from a Twitter based conversation in my timeline. It sparked an interest in getting an idea done. Again you can read about the project in more detail on it’s own blog post, but basically it is a HTML and CSS version of a nice print poster of last seasons Liverpool fixtures.
I used it as an excuse to experiment with HTML5, webfonts, CSS transitions and some other stuff. I enjoyed it.
Although as I’m writing this I’ve noticed something has obviously changed since I finished with the Webkit rendering engines that has aliased all of the angled lines. I’ll have to look at that.
Fixture experiment 2011/2012
This isn’t actually finished yet, but it’s still worth mentioning.
With a new season came a new release of fixtures to play with.This time what I wanted to experiment with responsive design and taking a mobile first approach to the problem. Also having seen Yaili’s talk ‘The Mechanical Revolution’ at DIBI about embracing frameworks and the like I wanted to try and build it on the framework/boilerplate that Andy Clarke had produced for this sort of thing.
I still can’t shake the feeling that frameworks feel like cheating.
As inspiration I based the general idea on retro Shoot! Magazine League Ladders.
It uses the 320 Up framework to make all the responsive stuff happen, this supports the HTML5 code, CCS3 bits and bobs and a sprinkling of 80s nostalgia. I say sprinkling, I mean a big fat dollop.
As a disclaimer this is currently a work in progress. It’s all full of -webkit proprietary stuff, and I haven’t looked at cross browsering yet. Having said that it does work well on all web kit browsers, including iOS. I also want to make more of the overall look, it’s just finding the time to give it that polish.
I’m including this to remind myself to finish it. I found this fascinating historic 1872 map of Liverpool in an online historical publication archive. It predated the Liver buildings by nearly 30 years. It’s amazing how much has changed – yet stayed the same. The basic structure of Liverpool remains practically the same.
Looking at the map I began to wonder just how accurate a 130+ year old map could be. So I started trying to overlay over some images ripped from Google maps in Fireworks. With some jiggering about I found it could possibly line up very well.
Then I had the thought of making my own specific layer to actually overlay with the GMaps API. I researched how to make that possible – which was easier than I imagined – then set about producing an early prototype map.
You can see that map in action – it’s amazing how well that century old hand drawn map lines up with the satellite images.
What I need to do now is add all sort of controls… and then maybe start adding points of interest and historical information on their. Liverpool had a zoo back then you know.
Posted on August 2nd, 2011