Week Notes #11: 22 June, 2020
Another week. The days continuing to meld.
Football is properly back. Not properly back ... but back enough. Enough for all the cranks to be back out on Twitter saying Liverpool are actually not very good at football. Despite still being 23 point clear at the top ... and that's just the #lfcfamily
- I've got another bid in on a set of clubs. I'm not getting my hopes up. Buying a putter is similarly annoying. I am actually going to have to go for a socially distance round at some point.
- The ball was just there, inviting me to smash it into the back of the net. So I did. It would have been rude not to. The little blue fly-away was well and truly wellied. Then my right foot felt a breeze. I looked up to see my slipper majestically arcing away to my left. Higher and higher. It floated over next doors garden, effortlessly making it over their fence too and in to their neighbours. It was absurdly beautiful, and oddly satisfying. I needed new slippers anyway.
- I think I mentioned I was already looking to up my slipper game. Seeing as they are the footwear I have on my feet ... well, all the time these days. I don't want to spend ridiculous Mahabi's money. Even though they look perfect. We'll see.
- I've been stalking a few specific sets of clubs on Ebay for, in some cases, over a year. Last night I discovered a new potential target set. One that balances price, looks, tech, ease-of-use etc etc. I've only gone and bought a set.
- A set of Mizuno JPX EZ Forged. I had been looking at the JPX 900 Hot Metal for ages, but they go for too much cash. I'd discounted the EZs because of their name ... and I thought they looked awful. Then I found out they did a forged version, which looks like a proper Mizuno iron, but should offer enough ease of use for a hacker like me.
- And I got them for a cheeky offer price, for considerably less they usually go for. And I like the grips on them, a lovely bit of neon yellow at the top.
- Hopefully the heads don't fall off.
- They were slightly more than I was looking to pay ... but a lot less than a lot of others. These were released in 2016 only a year less than the 900s and considerably newer than the Clevelands I had put bids on last week. I feel like I've found a really good sweet spot.
- So Liverpool are amazing again. Crystal Palace literally didn't touch the ball in our box. A supreme performance from the best team I have eve seen play the game.
- Oh. And we've won the league.
- After 30 years we have won the league. I was 10. I sort of remember it.
- Liverpool are Champions of England. And Europe. And the World.
- I know not everyone likes football. I know not everyone gets it. But it means a lot. It really reall, really does. It's a generational connection. Stories passed down. My Dad would have loved this team. The way they play football. The fact they seem to be a genuinely lovely bunch of lads. Focussed, brilliant, professional, driven, wonderful lads. They way they play. Ridiculous pace, skill and speed of thought. A steel rod of iron will to win.
- Their togetherness too. Egypt, Senegal, Brazil, Holland, Glasgow, Sunderland, Leeds ... West Derby. Just a bunch of sound lads.
- The there's Klopp. The man was in tears. He gets us. We're a weird bunch. But Klopp gets us, he gets the city. He understands. He is simply a magificent human being.
- My Dad would have loved Klopp.
- My Dad would have loved this team.
- It was a more emotional moment than I expected. I finished the last of my Lagavulin.
- Shame about the morons.
- We got out for a decent walk on Saturday. We even drove to a whole new county (Cheshire). Got nearly 6 miles under our belt around Beeston Castle. Only got soaked once.